There are many solutions when it comes to shelter. Everything from the basic hammock and tarp all the way up to the Global Roam 5K™. There is no one single perfect one-size-fits-all solution. There are a lot of variables that will influence your shelter solutions. To discuss those variables I am once again joined by Brittany and Eric from Hourless Life. We discuss various shelter solutions as well as their evolution from RVers to Overlanders and the decision making process they went through in selecting both their vehicle and shelter solution for their upcoming global adventure.
My own shelter solution has evolved over the years. I started off in tents backpacking with the Boy Scouts. I then transitioned to ultra-light camping with a hammock and tarp. When I transitioned into car-camping and overland travel I used a lot of the same backpacking gear I used in the past. This not only kept cost down but also kept the size and weight of my kit down.
Now, with the trailer, my kit and rig have expanded into a mobile basecamp. That’s not a solution for everyone. Nor is an appropriate solution for all types of overland travel. It is, however, what works for me. Hopefully this episode can help you figure out what works for you.
Links Worth Clicking
- Hourless Life: Website | Instagram | Youtube
- BROG Video: Walk-around of The Hourless Life North American Jeep Wrangler aka “Guardian”
- BROG Video: Walk-around of Dan Grec’s Africa JKU
- Hourless Life Article: Here’s the Vehicle Our Family Plans to Drive Around the World
- ECOA: “Poor Man’s Teardrop” Trailer Profile
- ECOA: Choosing a overland camping trailer
- ECOA: Deciding factors for why I’m getting a camping trailer